3.18.2009

...about turning 28 among other things

-I turned 28 on Friday March 13. We went to dinner at Blue Plate, then bowling then drank at my house. A lot of people who said they would stop by ditched out but I expect that from people now. Especially at my age. The most important people in my life were there though so that's what matters. I have some truly wonderful people in my life. People who still talk to me even when I manage to completely humiliate myself by waking up everyone in the room by ripping a fart. Yep. Bodily noises that occur during sleep do not count because we have no control over such things in times of unconsciousness but still, it's embarassing. Oh well, I'm over it.

-Some fantastic news. The stupid fucking DWA, otherwise known as, the Direct Writing Assessment, otherwise known as big pain in my ass is gone forever! The legislature voted to get rid of it. Praise the Lord, someone finally saw the light! I hate that test. I don't think it possible to judge writing ability based on ONE essay written on ONE topic on ONE day. Writing is a developmental and subjective skill. Some days we are one our A game and sometimes we really suck. How can one standardized writing test, graded by anonymous outsiders judge writing skill? I am not a fan of the standardized tests. But really, is any public school teacher? I helped test ESL students recently on their English speaking/reading/listening/writing ability. It was supposed to measure how well they understand the language but it was all comprehension, logic based questions. I just don't get it. So anyway, I don't have to worry about the DWA again. There will be some kind of writing assessment but it's going to be in the 8th grade. Why does this rock? Because I teach 9th grade! haha! Well, and it will be a yearlong, formative type assessment which I think will be much better. I really do need to figure out how to teach writing though. On this computer program we use, my kids have the lowest scores. Teaching writing is not my skill as an English teacher and it is something I really need to develop.

-Speaking of teaching, my favorite thing to hear a student say EVER is this: "OHHHH! I GET it!!!" I taught the color wheel to my 7th graders and they were so proud of themselves when they figured out how to make tertiary colors using only red, blue and yellow colored pencils.

-Speaking of favorite things ever, I am in love. Totally. In a way I never imagined was possible. Now I know what it can be like. I'm blissfully happy and exquisitely miserable. On fire and melting at the same time. He is my all time favorite accidental genius.

-I'm so happy. I'm disorganized and have a messy room and have lots of grading to catch up on and have laundry to do and have not made a lesson plan for tomorrow and missed class tonight but I am happy. Yay for freedom and love and Prozac!

No comments: