7.16.2008

...the letter j

Maybe this has become too much of a dumping ground. All I really write about is stuff that us bothering me or that I am pissed off about. Complain, complain, it's really not that attractive. I try really hard not to complain in real life because I get annoyed with people who do that (especially certain teachers at my school). So, then, blogspot becomes my backup complain enter. I'm really a very happy person. I love life. I should make number stickers that say "Don't judge me by my blog" or "I am not my blog." HAHA! What a good idea.

So, I have been working on this series of drawings of my own illustrated alphabet. This is A.


They are on 9"x12" Bristol in Sakura Micron pen. I am up to K except that I skipped J because I could not think of a good one. A is acorn/apple tree, B is bottle/bubble, C is carrot, D is dragonfly/doorway, E is earring/eye, F is fish, G is graveyard/ghost/girl, H is heart, I is ice cream, K is kite. But I cannot think of a good one for J. Joker, Juice, Jam or Jelly, Jack in the Box...none of these really appeal to me. Usually I just know exactly which one I want to draw, it just jumps out at me but this is not happening with J. I will probably end up doing juice and not being entirely satisfied with it. I just finished H last night and today I will start on L for lamp/light. I was going to draw a lighthouse but my lighthouse just ended up looking very phallic so I changed my mind. I'm excited about this series. I find that if I give myself assignments, I don't get artist block. It's when I'm trying to pull a single idea out of the air that I get stuck, usually I get really stuck when there are too many possibilities. So, I give myself assignments. "An illustrated alphabet" and then automatically, there are 26 drawings to complete, each with specific parameters. I have some other assignments in mind when I am done with this one. Numbers 1-10, I'm going to use insects, like 1 butterfly, 2 ladybugs, 3 spiders, etc; the Kings and Queens in a deck of cards; Alice in Wonderland characters; maybe the Twelve Dancing Princesses. I don't know, the first two for sure, the second two are maybes. There is an artist I like named Stephanie Pui-Mun Law who is illustrating a Tarot deck. This is the Fool card. Her stuff is so organic and gorgeous, I love it. A Tarot deck would be such an ambitious undertaking. The alphabet is proving to be more ambitious than I planned. The first three took me like 8 months but the last few I have been cruising through. I needed to get the hang of it I guess. I really like my drawings. I get really into them. I find myself getting lost in the lines. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my drawings, very meticulous about the lines. I have Micron pens all the way from .08 to .005 just to make sure that my lines are as perfect as I can make them. But I love that feeling. The total immersion in something. I love it when I get caught up in a drawing and then when I take a breath and look up, hours have passed. I take such pride in my work. Maybe that's why I'm scared to show it in galleries or anything because I get worried that other people won't care. I worry about other people's opinions. I know I shouldn't, I know I should just go for it but I get nervous. I have come so close to having gallery shows or having my stuff displayed and then backed out at the last minute or never come through with it. But nothing is ever going to happen if I don't try. I'm hoping living in an artist' community will help me. It will be expected of me. We have our own gallery that is opened up during each gallery stroll and they ask people who live here to contribute to that one. Also, my neighbor two doors down wants me to work on some paintings with him. He wants me to draw things on canvas in my style and then he will paint them and abstract them in his. It's a good chance.

Here is a picture of my new tattoo. It's all scabbed up and tight feeling right now and pretty annoying actually. But it's pretty. And I'm not even going to lie, tattoos on your foot f-ing hurt.

No comments: