2.16.2010

...my weiner dog has a napoleon complex

Seriously. That's all I have to say about that.

Second. We are moving into a new house. About 500 dollars cheaper. See the house that's kind of dumpy with the random refrigerator in the yard? That's our new place. It's a fixer upper. And I gotta admit, I'm digging the idea of a challenge as far as house decorating goes. I have a cool place right now. It was cool before I got to it so there was not much I could do. It was a bit intimidating. That's why two years later, I still have not finished the painting I started in the hallway. But this new one....it is not cool to begin with. Well, not cool in the whoa, you live in an old warehouse with brick walls and rafters kind of cool. But a unique, has potential, smells like chihuahuas and old cigarettes kind of cool. It's something I can work with. I however am not a patient person and want to get in there and get started right now. But I have to wait until the end of the month, which is the one time each 30 days the good ol government blesses me with my daily bread. Which means my current residence looks a bit like the electronics and toy section of the thrift store right now. And I don't mean that in a good way.


And I started letterboxing. Which is awesome. Because I feel like a pirate hunting for treasure. Minus the wooden leg and eminent danger of course. When I found the very first letterbox we went looking for, I literally busted into dance moves in the middle of the woods. Is there anything better than dancing so hard you bonk your head on a tree limb and see stars for 3 weeks? No, there's not. Believe me, I know. So now I have a new hobby. Like I needed another one. Plus, surviving the wilderness of Wheeler Historic Farm is good training for when the zombies attack(see previous post).

Sometimes I wish my life was more interesting. So I would have something to blog about. Is that bad? Some days I wish I could log onto blogspot an write something like, "OMG I totally backflipped into a Hummer while doing wheelies on my Vespa today." Or something similar. But no. Instead I log on to write things like, "Today, I went over a scene summary of Romeo and Juliet and we decided to make the play into a Mob story like the Sopranos and gave all the characters Mob names like Jules and Benny and Mr. T." Well, maybe that's kind of interesting. But you know what I mean. Sometimes I wonder if I need a theme. Like a "Eat a different candy bar everyday and blog about it" kind of theme. Oh wait, I got it.....drink a different kind of beer everyday and blog about it. Now, that's something I can get into. The problem is, I know me. Most of the time. And I don't do good with goal setting and remembering and being organized and stuff. Hell, I'm lucky if I remember to brush my teeth twice a day. (Hey, I never said I wasn't disgusting). And makeup? Everyday? Right.....yeah that happens. HAHA!

Do you remember the teacher who rushed in at the last bell with a giant cup of sugared up coffee and wonky hair while digging around in her purse for the classroom key? The one who hauls a giant bag of grading home every night only to lug the exact same bag of UNgraded stuff back to school the next day? Yep, that's me. Hi, nice to meet you. That bag I mentioned is sitting on the floor right next to my couch as I type. I am in charge of the future. Don't you feel secure in the knowledge that I have the task of molding young minds? Sometimes I feel more like a mad scientist than a teacher. "Today, I'm going to give you this ball of clay, some sharp objects, a Magic marker and a copy of I Am The Cheese. Let's see what happens!" I think my favorite teacher phrase is, "Think of it as a creative challenge." Which is basically my way of saying, "I don't know what to tell you and have no answer for your question." or "I'm typing an unnecessary email, leave me alone." The great thing is, though, that I'm not just an English teacher, I'm an Art teacher. And everyone knows that art teachers can get away with whatever they want. "Hmmm, bright red hair, tattoos, vacant expression......you must be..... the art teacher." I gotta tell ya, I feel for you math teachers, you just don't get the freedom of....ahem....expression.....that us art teachers get. It's actually quite liberating. I can get away with moving my desks around every week. I'm the art teacher. "Oh, it's ok officer, I'm allowed to drive on whichever side of the street I want, I'm an art teacher." I am allowed to hang fifty million paper hearts from the ceiling. I'm an art teacher. I'm allowed to wear brown shoes with a black dress. I'm an art teacher. I can drink coffee all day and eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch out of a Ziploc baggie while listening to Blonde Redhead. I'm an art teacher. Wow, you know, I just realized how good I have it.

No comments: