5.15.2008

...about cell phones

I forgot to mention. I hate cell phones. Can I just say that? Put the damn thing away! I mean this in the context of my classroom of course. Students cannot live 45 minutes without texting. I was reading to the class today in 3rd period and I could see five texters going at it...and I wasn't even looking directly at them. It's ridiculous. The school policy is that they have to be turned off at school. Yeah, that happens. And if you try to take it away, it becomes a standoff. I don't even ask for them anymore because if I do, I know that it means a ten minute disruption of class. Instead, I take off points. And I tell you what, I have some kiddies who are going to a little surprised when they get their grade and see that they have lost 70 points because of texting. The best is when they text people that are in the same class or even better, their mom! They say, "But Miss H,it's my mom!" Like that makes it ok. This is my new response that I have started using and it makes me feel really mean and giggle a little bit at the same time. A child who has spent the entire lesson texting raises their hand and says, "What are we supposed to do miss h?" My response: "I don't know, why don't you ask the person you were texting? They were obviously more deserving of your attention. I already taught it once, you're going to have to find someone who is willing to teach it again." I just don't have the patience for it anymore. It is the one thing that always receives a smartass comment from me. I can't help it.

No comments: